What are general transfer credit rules I should know? - Undergraduate Admissions (2024)

You can find details about your specific courses on our Transfer Credit Page.

When submitting a request for transfer credit, please consider the following rules:

  • You may take course work away from UNC-Chapel Hill provided that your UNC-Chapel Hill grade point average meets the minimum academic eligibility requirement for the semester you plan to re-enroll (see UNC-Chapel Hill catalog section entitled “Academic Eligibility”). Grades and quality points earned elsewhere are not computed into your UNC cumulative grade point average. Enrollment elsewhere (other than summer school) will be counted as semesters earned toward computing eligibility requirements.
  • A grade of C or higher must be earned in order to obtain University credit.
  • For study abroad, please note that you may receive credit only for courses taken through officially sanctioned UNC programs. Contact the Study Abroad Office to learn more.
  • A minimum of 45 semester hours of credit must be earned at UNC-Chapel Hill in order to receive a degree from UNC-Chapel Hill.
  • Only 6 hours of your last 30 semester hours may be taken at another institution. See your academic advisor for more information.
  • The maximum number of hours that may be transferred from any and all institutions combined is 75.
  • A minimum of 18 hours of “C” or higher grades (not “C” average) in the major is required.
  • We do not award more hours to be transferred for approved courses than those earned at the original institution.
  • Elective courses generally do not contribute directly to a major/academic program, but they do help students progress toward earning the 120 semester hours needed for graduation.
  • The conversion for quarter hours to semester hours is a 2/3 ratio. For example, a 5-quarter-hour course converted to semester hours is 3.33 semester hours.
  • You should only submit a course approval request for the term in which you plan to take and complete the course. If you complete the course outside of the approved time frame, you may not receive credit.

After receiving the results of your credit request from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, please consult with an academic advisor in your school to verify that the approved UNC-Chapel Hill equivalent(s) will fulfill curriculum/degree requirements.Equivalencies and requirements may change without notice.

What are general transfer credit rules I should know? - Undergraduate Admissions (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Stevie Stamm

Last Updated:

Views: 5559

Rating: 5 / 5 (80 voted)

Reviews: 87% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Stevie Stamm

Birthday: 1996-06-22

Address: Apt. 419 4200 Sipes Estate, East Delmerview, WY 05617

Phone: +342332224300

Job: Future Advertising Analyst

Hobby: Leather crafting, Puzzles, Leather crafting, scrapbook, Urban exploration, Cabaret, Skateboarding

Introduction: My name is Stevie Stamm, I am a colorful, sparkling, splendid, vast, open, hilarious, tender person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.